The online Food Literacy Educator Training course is the vehicle through which we grow and develop our network of Food Literacy Educators. The training is founded on the core principals of The Cookbook Project, providing a better understanding of the values and themes that guide our organization and how they are woven into the curricula that allows our Food Literacy Educators to lead their own programs.
The training includes nine different lessons that are composed of narrated slide shows, videos, quizzes, and short assignments, all of which can be completed at the applicants’ own pace by logging in and out of their accounts. We require enrollment and completion of this principal course in order to become a certified Food Literacy Educator and proceed to the accompanying add-on courses. The training takes around 2 hours to complete.
Lesson 1 – Roots of The Cookbook Project (2 mins 50 secs): What is The Cookbook Project all about? Learn about the origins of The Cookbook Project, the three main principles of our teaching philosophy, and how to lead a Food Literacy Education program.
- Includes: Quiz on personal goals and assignment to assess current knowledge of training topics.
Lesson 2 – Kitchen Essentials (8 mins 45 secs): Covers basic kitchen tools and tips for cooking success on a budget.
- Includes: Download for the ‘Community Kitchen Toolkit’ – a document that provides links to all the kitchen essentials covered in the lesson.
Lesson 3 – Sustainable Eating (4 mins 34 secs): Learn about the food system from producers to consumers, and the importance of sustainable eating. Plus, be introduced to the sustainable healthy plate, which will help guide a nourishing and environmentally friendly diet.
- Includes: Quiz on the food system and sustainable eating.
Lesson 4 – Processed Food Spectrum (9 mins 42 secs): Understand label literacy and how to read a food label. Discover healthy food substitutions based on the “processed food spectrum.”
- Includes: Quiz on processed foods and understanding food labels.
Lesson 5 – Cooking Basics (3 mins 2 secs): Presents basic cooking skills, such as steaming and dicing, through short video clips and highlights some easy recipes to get started.
- Includes: 6 videos presenting each cooking skill.
Lesson 6 – The Weekly Game Plan (3 mins 20 secs): Discover three distinct approaches to meal planning to develop a method that works for every individual.
- Includes: Assignment to create your own weekly meal plan using our ‘Weekly Game Plan’ guide.
Lesson 7 – Understanding the Community (2 mins 20 secs): Focuses on the values of the program including community building, cultural awareness, and inclusivity.
- Includes: Download for the ‘Bag of Tricks’ – a document that provides a ton of additional activities and games that are great to have handy when running a session
Lesson 8 – Program Planning and Logistics (5 mins 5 secs): Understand the logistics of organizing and implementing a food literacy and cooking education program.
- Includes: Quiz on how to organize a program.
Lesson 9 – Monitoring and Evaluation (3 mins 28 secs): Recognize the importance of measuring the impact of your program and how easy it can be to accomplish by using our integrated evaluation plan.
- Includes: Download for the ‘Impact Toolkit’ – a document that explains our monitoring and evaluation plan and the steps to implementing it.